Monday, February 11, 2013

Henshaw | Reading Four


Chapter Thirteen discusses the approach that should be taken when designing for web sites. The chapter stresses the importance of creating a web page that is not only aesthetically pleasing, but also fully functional. I feel that the most common problem with websites is consistency issues. This is why I find the point made about “ensuring logical information hierarchy” crucial to the content of this chapter (232). If a website is hard to navigate, a visitor will not frequent the page often. Since web sites and internet campaigns are so numerous, a single problem with a page could turn a potential customer off, therefore proving why the execution of concise and easy to maneuver websites are a necessity. 

Chapter Fourteen covers the illustrious subject of designing for mobile devices. Obviously the world today is run by apps and controlled by the swipe of a finger. On any given day, I am playing on my phone far longer than I care to admit. Ad agencies should capitalize on the dependence on technology and the need to feel artificially connected. The book states in order for mobile advertising to be successful, the idea must be useful and entertaining (240). I find that the many of the apps on my phone can be categorized into two groups: productivity and amusement. Therefore, my tendencies and the content of the book reveal that I am the target market for these sorts of virtual ambushes, and to this I say, hit me with your best shot. 

Chapter Fifteen covers the topic of social media campaigns. I am thoroughly intrigued by the idea of Ambient Advertising. I find that incorporating existing spaces is the most clever way to target the intended audience. The use of an existing item or structure to promote another is pure brilliance. These kind of campaigns are the ones that I hope to be creating once I enter the world of advertising. 

One of the many examples of Ambient Advertisements that I found was this KitKat bench that is modeled to look like an actual candy bar. I love this approach because it is unusual and unexpected. If I saw this advert, I would think that it is witty and amusing. The connection that the agency is making between a candy bar and a bench is an unlikely one, but with such concise execution, creates a highly success campaign that is certainly making me crave a KitKat bar right this instant! (Agency: JWT London)



No comments:

Post a Comment