Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Francis - Reading Three


The deletion strategy game was the first approach from this chapter that stood out to me because it is so relevant in daily advertisements. I feel like most advertisers or ad agencies think of “What is important about this product? Could people live without it?” right off the bat, and then design an advertisement based off of those questions. In one of my classes, we have to create a commercial on a certain brand or company that is hard for us to resist. My group and I chose to do a commercial on Starbucks, so when researching their advertisements I came across an ad (below) that I believe works for the deletion strategy game because the designer is implying Starbucks is some sort of a necessity.



Also, this advertisement works because it is also addressing how Starbucks is different from any other coffee, which brings me to my next point of the importance of comparing and contrasting. Comparing and contrasting just makes it easier for any observer (no matter age or level of education) to understand, making it one of the more effective methods. Eliciting the problem game and using the problem as the solution together are great and interesting approaches to designing an advertisement because it alters one’s way of thinking. While this approach won’t always work, depending on the strength of the campaign, I can see how it can distinguish a product or brand apart from another.

Out of all the processes and ideas, the section on the incubation period was the most compelling. I always tell myself that I need to “sleep on an idea” or “take a break,” however, I have never fully understood the importance or practicality until now. Now, it makes me feel a lot better knowing that this method actually works, rather than thinking that I am just putting off finishing a project.

No comments:

Post a Comment