Monday, January 14, 2013

Harris - Week 2


Chapter 7 focuses on different approaches to advertising. I think some approaches are more common than others but they are all important. One approach I found to be interesting in this chapter is "Problem/Solution." I think the idea ties well into graphic design with the goal being to solve a problem with your own solution. I am fond of the ads from Boeri Helmets. The helmets are a really cute way to prevent getting hurt and I might even give into it just because of the chocolate bunnies. 
An ad I found similar to the one of Boeri Helmets is for Colonial State. A woman is struggling to communicate over the phone but Colonial State is willing to help her by providing real people to speak with and not recordings.


Chapter 8 is about typography and visualization in advertising. I really enjoyed the part about mixing typefaces because of its relevance to my work, The book says that there are many reasons people mix typefaces, such as differentiation between words or phrases, adding contrast to the visualization of the concept, among others. I really appreciate the ads for the Ink! Coffee client. I like the scattered aspect of the type in both ads because it reminds me of working with a letterpress and it looks very unique.

Chapter 9 focuses on composition in advertising. To go along with the previous chapter and the strong use of typography, there is a continued focus on the use of type. Type is the greatest element of the composition in the Jimmy John's print ad campaign, package design and store signage. This ad contrasts with using visuals in a nice way. There are minimal visuals used in this design and that creates a nice balance between the simplicity, color and style of this group of ads/packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment