Monday, January 21, 2013

Henshaw | Reading Three

Chapter Five discussed the components of generating a great idea. One of the steps in the “Concept Generation Process” caught my attention. The second step, the Incubation Period, is one that I feel is crucial to the design process. The author discusses that one must let the idea “simmer in your mind” (73). This step in crucial in creating a solid idea because many times when a designer hits a creative block, the only way to overcome this hurdle is to engage their minds elsewhere. The author suggests delving into other creative tasks such as reading a book or going to a concert. I would not normally think to continue doing something creative to overcome a creative mind-block, but this is definitely a tactic that I will remember next time I run into a wall.

Another point that I found helpful was the concept of Visual Analogy. Using something symbolic to represent another idea is a very clever approach to advertising. As a consumer, I really appreciate a witty advert. Additionally, creating a link between one concept to another helps brands express their ideas more clearly to their intentioned audiences. With visual analogies, consumers also interact with the ad, which creates a connection to the brand as well. I feel that this concept relates to the spoof ads that we are working on, therefore, this section was very helpful.

I have chosen the ad below to represent the concept of Visual Analogy. This is an ad for the WWF. The ad is implying that the use of plastic water bottles is just as damaging as the smoke that is emitted from industrial buildings. The water bottles are symbolic of these factories. This visual engaging ad caught my attention because it allowed me to interact with the image. The stimulating imagery will have a lasting affect on the audience members that view this ad.


No comments:

Post a Comment