Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Francis: Reading Two


In Chapter Seven, the author describes different ways to convey advertisements. One fairly easy way to make sure your brand stands out amongst others is to use the comparison format of comparing and contrasting your brand to another competing brand. However, there are other advertisement methods as well. Advertising by having a musical number is one approach that I had completely forgotten about because I feel this type of advertisement has not been used that much in commercials lately. In my editing class last year, we had to create a stealomatic for our final project, and I decided to focus on Coca-Cola ads “through the years”. When reading the section on musical advertisements, it reminded me of one of the most memorable Coca-Cola ads, which I used in my compilation, where people are singing, “I’d like to buy the world a Coke” on a hilltop.



In the next section, I got to learn about misdirection. I always like the “surprise factor,” so I think misdirection would be a fun approach to try out. However, it is understandable that after someone sees it he or she will know the surprise ending, so an advertiser needs to make sure the advertisement is still interesting and enjoyable after the first time a person watches it.

Chapter Eight was a very compelling chapter for me because it expressed the importance of typography and how one must alter the spacing and positioning of letters and text. When I design posters, I sometimes forget about this key factor rule, so it was important to be reminded about it. If an advertiser forgets about kerning, tracking, and leading, it can affect the potential of an advertisement. My newly formed philosophy about it is if you have a great advertisement then you should have great mechanics... It can only boost you further to success. With superb images and compelling text, one should have an awesome and successful advertisement (hopefully). 

No comments:

Post a Comment